How Acupuncture Can Make You Healthier & Happier
The holidays are time of joy, celebration, and family. But, they are also a time of stress, long to-do lists, and no moments to breath. That’s why the holidays are one of the most important times to spend some time on self care. Tomorrow December 19th, we will be welcoming Chris Goddin, Lac, MAcOM, a Licensed Acupuncturist and Integrative Medicine Specialist with his private practice Balance Wellness Acupuncture & Herbal Medicine, into our space to help you relax. Here we have a guest post by Chris on all the reasons you should try acupuncture!
Ever wondered why someone would PAY to have needles stuck in them? Have you questioned a friend’s sanity when they claim that acupuncture is actually quite relaxing and enjoyable?
Well, you are not alone... at least for now. Alternative medicine is in the midst of a surge in popularity, with acupuncture at the forefront. As more and more people make their health a priority and experience the benefits of this time-tested healing modality, acupuncture will continue to gain popularity and mainstream acceptance.
So what’s the big deal, you may ask? What can acupuncture do for me? Great questions!
Here are the top 5 things acupuncture can do for you:
1. Relieve Your Stress. The mechanisms of action for acupuncture are not completely understood, but there are a few things we have been able to prove. Acupuncture is reliably effective at regulating the autonomic nervous system, which is the likely reason for it being so effective at treating stress, anxiety and depression. In our society of constant sensory overload and "fight or flight" activation, acupuncture is a safe and effective way to bring balance to the nervous system.
2. Eliminate Your Pain. Acupuncture’s most researched effect is in pain relief, again most likely due to it's documented effects on the autonomic nervous system. Acupuncture has also been shown to release endorphins (your body's natural pain killers) resulting in quick pain relief, while it increases blood flow to tissue, allowing you to actually heal faster from acute or chronic injuries.
3. Balance Your Hormones. Acupuncture can affect the release and rebalancing of hormones. As we know, acupuncture can affect stress levels which is largely affected by the hormone cortisol, and it is also effective at treating other hormonal-related health issues like fertility, acne, thyroid disorders, PMS, menopause and weight loss.
4. Improve Your Sleep & Energy. The CDC estimates that about 1/3 of the US population is not getting the amount of sleep they need. And with the amount of important things that occur when you get enough sleep, including helping you think clearly the next day and preventing many chronic diseases, it is clear that a lot of people could use sleep support. Acupuncture has been proven to be effective at treating insomnia by naturally increasing levels of melatonin and decreasing anxiety. If you want to have a more productive day, start by focusing on what is going on the night before.
5. Give You An Alternative to Pharmaceuticals. When I see a commercial for a drug that is designed to counter the side effects from another drug, I just have to shake my head... really people!? In some cases, pharmaceuticals can be life saving and the absolute best approach, however there are many more instances where other avenues should be explored first to avoid unwanted side effects and/or reliance on the drug. The most common side effects from acupuncture are that you sleep better, deal with stress better and have better digestion... now these are side effects I can get on board with!
So there you have it: 5 things acupuncture can do for your health. It doesn't sound so crazy anymore, now does it?
Make sure to come by the front desk to sign up for you acupunture time with Chris on December 19th!